Wednesday, June 10, 2009

I am an asshole.

I definitely got called out via facebook on some of my previous blog entries. When will I learn to self-edit? And when will I learn, if I must comment on something to be clear as to whether I am talking about a person or their actions? IDIOT!

My response was first, to take down the hurtful comments, and then say that my wonderful husband was a bit irritated with his mom and I earlier this year because we were being kind of catty and criticizing another woman (I don't remember who or about what). His mom and I both responded that women are just hard on other women and that's the way it is, and we didn't think anything more of it. HE was clearly the one with the issue, not us. End of discussion. The more I thought about it, the more I realized, I HATE being criticized, handle it way worse than most people, and given that I am far from perfect (shocker!) myself, I should probably make a much greater effort to STOP criticizing. Clearly, I have not done the best job with that so far.

You always hear about stay at home moms vs. working moms, for example (vs. as if it really is a battle!). Why can't all moms be doing the right thing, or sometimes the necessary thing, for their families? Why are both sides villified by the other? Are we all just born with the need to make ourselves feel better by tearing other people down? Women can be catty, myself included. Sometimes people need to be called out on it. Today was one time I was the person needing it. Thank you, thank you, thank you to the individual who did call me out this time. It was a strong, concise and definitely needed reminder that words CAN hurt, whether out loud, online, to your face or typed on a blog. And guess what, the person wasn't even catty about telling me that I was wrong! Proof to me that it can be done! Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment