Monday, July 6, 2009

Funny weird, not funny ha ha

It's amazing how quickly things change; whether in importance, relevance or just in general.

This morning, I woke up with raging allergies and was, I admit, feeling a little sorry for myself. I continued to make breakfast, clean the kitchen, fill the hot tub, water the plants, play with the dog...and, most importantly, log on to facebook. It's like crack, really.

The first thing I saw on facebook was that my friend's mother passed away this morning. Suddenly, my allergies seem pretty unimportant, irrelevant and a pathetic thing to feel sorry for yourself about in general. Her mother battled brain tumors for many years, but always had a big smile on her face. I'm sure they're all very grateful she got to see both her children get married, and that she is now in a better place. My thoughts and prayers are with you all, you know who you are.

After learning this sad news, I called my mom to let her know, since we've gone to church with this family for many, many years. She informed me that I needed to check my email because "tragedy day" wasn't quite over yet. Great.

There was an email from my aunt (by marriage, if it matters) explaining that 18 years ago her brother passed away from cancer, leaving behind his wife and very young son. His wife never really got over it, never remarried, nothing. I'm sure you've all heard by now about the monorail crash that killed 1 person. Her son was the 1 person. He was 21 years old. Austin Wuennenberg. I've never met this man, or any member of that side of my aunt's family, but it hit me pretty hard to know that a story I read about and basically ignored because *only* 1 person died, was about my cousins' cousin. Horrible.

I really hope all the tragic deaths are over for awhile. We all need a break.

2 comments:

  1. Ugg! I just read this entry today and it's a little eerie because JD's cousin passed away the day after you wrote this. I know that is a bit of a bummer of a comment but it really creeped me out.
    Brittany

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is weird! Hope JD is doing ok!

    ReplyDelete