Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Skid Goes to Canada

People always ask me if Adam ever gets offended by me blogging about his adventures.  The answer is no.  Believe it or not, I never publish anything without asking him, and usually reading it to him, first.  He might do some crazy stuff, but I'm not a jerk.  So rest assured, the following story is rated AA, Adam Approved. 

Adam's dad is turning 60 this year, and for his birthday, Adam's mom planned a really cool 7 day fishing trip in Canada.  No girls allowed.  (No worries, there is nothing about 17 hours of driving, outhouses or mosquitoes the size of a fist that appeals to me!)

Adam is notorious for being an "efficient packer," however that is partially due to his tendency to underestimate the amount of things you will actually need on your trip.  He suggested that I help make a packing list so he wouldn't forget anything.  Ok, sure, sounds reasonable...until we sit down to make the list.  Keep in mind, I've never been to Canada, never been on a fishing trip, etc. 

Me: Ok, so let's start with the basics.  Underwear.  You're gone for 7 days, so that means you'll need 7 pairs.
Adam: What?  7?  Why?
Me: (Silence)  Um...why not?
Adam: Well, whatever, I'm only packing 5. 

(Anyone beginning to see why I wasn't too sad to be missing out on this shindig?)

As he is loading the car, I realize his packing includes: 5 pairs of underwear for 7 days, 12 rolls of toilet paper and he's mad because his new Playboy has not come in the mail.  I'm like...are you going fishing or spending a week in an outhouse?  But I digress.

In the Canadian woods, there is obviously no cell phone reception, so this was the first time in our relationship that I didn't hear from him for more than a day.  That was a little tricky, but booooooooy am I glad.  The following story is worth it.

The boys arrive in Canada.  Adam meets the Canadian man who helped organize the trip on their end, for the first time.  And after 17 hours of driving, really, whose first question upon meeting someone for the first time wouldn't be "Uh, where's the restroom?" 

This is the shirt Adam was wearing while making his "special" first impression:




In case you can't read it, it says "Merry Christmas, Shitter Was Full."  (For those of you not in the know, that's a line from Christmas Vacation.)

Adam uses the restroom, comes out, and (while wearing said shirt) has to find his Canadian contact and report that he is in need of a plunger...because the "shitter was full."  The poor Canadian man was quite embarrassed and sent Adam off to the kitchens to track down two women who could help him locate the plunger.  He found one, and remedied the situation, but I think he ended up being the most embarrassed one there.  After Adam came home, he told me he didn't think he'd be wearing that shirt anymore, as it's "cursed."

Hate to break it to you, honey...it's not the shirt. :)   

On their way home, he called me from the road, just to let me know they were all alive and uninjured.  Thinking I was being funny, I asked him if he ran out of underwear.  He not only didn't get the joke, but reported that he actually still had an extra pair. 

Ladies, hands off!  He is MINE! :)




No comments:

Post a Comment